Monday, November 28, 2011

Where the heck's that Advent calendar?

November 28. I want to mark this as the day I realized I need to find that Advent calendar... because usually it's December 1st and I'm taken by surprise. I feel ahead of the game this year. I finished shopping for both boys today. I have a few stocking stuffers to buy for Doug, easy enough to do. Half my extended family is taken care of, and I know what I'm doing for the rest - just need to get out there and do it (or wait until next paycheck!).  This coming weekend we will put the tree & the rest of the decorations up. It all seems too good to be true - I'm actually ahead of the game for once!

We are looking forward to being at home through Christmas morning this year. It will be our second time in 11 years. The older the kids get, the more enticing it is to stay home. Go to our own church for Christmas Eve service, have Santa visit our house. We will embark on our usual Tour of the Families afterward, of course. It makes sense more than ever this year, because my school district has me teaching up to the 23rd of December; the boys get out the day before. Running a bit tight this year!

The boys continue to grow (their pants keep getting shorter!), play hard, and fight hard. Charlie has reached that adorable age where he is piecing together things and getting to know the larger world and the connection he has to it. Since Halloween he has been in a state of wonder - he doesn't remember holidays from last year, so everything is new and exciting. We made his weekend when he saw our house lights lit up the other night.  We are wondering if Roman is questioning Santa - he doesn't say it outright, but I know he must have heard things.

Roman is an interesting fellow. He is beginning to balance his true self with the self he needs to present to his friends; examples like, he really loves school but hears other kids talk about hating it & not wanting to go... or he made the comment today about how he "hates" church, yet two weeks ago was so excited to go to Children's Church.  It's amazing to me to actually watch someone go through this identity phase. Being cool and accepted versus being himself & accepted. Of course, I think he's the coolest 8-year-old around but what do I know?

No comments: