Thursday, May 26, 2011

"...and the rain, rain, rain came down, down, down..."

I always loved that Pooh song. Piglet gets washed away... much like our basement. Now before I go on detailing our minor trauma, I am well aware that we are blessed and blessed again - that we only had 3 inches of water in our basement, that we have the finances to cover it (although painfully), and Doug has tomorrow off to deal with the cleanup. However...

Wow, has it been raining. And more, and more. Yesterday's took the cake. The volume that fell in just an hour or so flooded the sewer system of my town, therefore forcing water back up into people's homes. In a neighboring town, main roads and intersections were closed due to flooding. Many buildings were closed because of extensive water damage today. So our 3" was nothing. Except... the carpet & padding. The floor molding. The couch. The laminate flooring in the office area. Storage area. Everything soaked. The amusing part, according to Doug, was watching the boys' aircraft carrier realistically float across the basement.

Roman doesn't handle emergency situations well at all, and the fact that his toys might be drowning really upset him. There was so much emotion going on - Doug frustrated & angry, me practically laughing (what else are you going to do?), and Roman worried - he just broke down in tears. It cheered him to see that Doug was liberating the toys & furniture first. Charlie just thought it was great fun - now all his toys are in the living room where he can reach them!

The cleanup crew is coming first thing Friday morning, and the carpet's getting ripped out. We'll probably spend the evening checking out the paneling & cabinetry to assess damage. And maybe calling a number I have wanted to dial since my childhood days.... 588-2300 Empire!

1 comment:

Sheryl said...

I like the aircraft carrier floating.. you should taken a pic and scrapped it:)
But- as usual, you guys got it all under control. Makes me think I need to get more tubs for my basement!
Good luck with everything!