Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Happy things, making me content.

Being that I have intense moments with my oldest, & the youngest has officially reached "terrible two" age, I realized that this year wasn't the year for resolutions. It was the year for reshifting & remaking priorities. My biggest need - a feeling of calmness. Serenity. Being centered. Content. Balanced. I could go on like a thesaurus, but I'm sure you know what I'm getting at.

This actually started last Fall, I guess. At least, it's when I started noticing that I was getting more content. The housing market, or lack of, made me realize that we are here in this house for quite a while yet. And I didn't want to keep thinking stuck here. I just wanted to be here. To get to that point, I had to start looking at the good things about this area. And a funny thing happens... you do it long enough, and you start seeing even the smallest things that are good.

Next I realized that since the holidays, I have been going to bed each night feeling very content in my soul. The boys are asleep, I'm next to the man I love, and life can't get any better. I feel this every night now. It's awesome.

I've been even further motivated by receiving a book I had asked for from my Mom for Christmas, called "Simple Abundance" by Sarah Ban Breathnach. It's a daily-read book with nuggets to think about & reflect upon. I started a gratitude journal -really, just a notebook in the bedside drawer - of things I am grateful for. And combining all these things, I really don't feel the stress & the need for rushing that I did just a few months ago. I am loose of all my outside commitments as well (as of two days ago) & I feel like I've been given a chance to "do-over" the structure and important things of my life.

This is all pretty fabulous. And before you think I'm going to get all new-Agey and stuff, I can tell you that one of the things going into my gratitude journal tonight is Cheez-It White Cheddar crackers. They are SO good. :) It's just simple things like that - noticing the small things - that is making life so good right now.

1 comment:

paige said...

sing it, sister!