Friday, July 24, 2009

Two years later

It was two years ago tonight - around 11:30pm, approximately - that the double line showed up on the home pregnancy test telling us that Charlie had been created. I can remember that night like it was yesterday. The shock, the tears, the unbelieving, the shock, making Doug read the instructions, more tears when he read "does not show false positives." I'm sure there were some choice oaths sworn as well. I remember laying in bed next to Doug, both of us staring at the ceiling, basically saying.... "oh, shit." We had our foster daughter coming in two days, and never in a million years did we expect a pregnancy.


Looking back at the pregnancy, all 30 weeks of it, I do feel bad that I didn't share it more with Doug and our families. I was really unhappy about it. But when my dr. went digging through my abdomen, opened up my uterus, and said "Well, hi there, Charlie!" before he was even out, I couldn't wait to meet him. To hear his first cry (especially as we were concerned about lung development) was awesome. And although I had to wait about 20 hours before I could hold him, his little 3-pound body on my chest changed my life.

So glad you're here, Charlie.

No comments: