Sunday, March 08, 2009

When life unhappily surprises you.

Last week was a tough week, emotionally speaking. Not even me directly, but I took events really hard and personally. A woman at church lost her 23-year-old son Wednesday morning, and it turns out it was a drug overdose. Then, horribly, her second son committed suicide by overdose just 12 hours later. Two sons, 12 hours. I can't even fathom it. Not to mention the fact that drugs were involved with both, and who wants to face that as well? The funerals were today.

The same day I heard of that, I received an email from our counselors at school - an eighth grade student's father died in a car crash on his way to work. The mom was visited by police at 8:30am that morning, and after calming down had to come get her only child out of school and tell her the news. Still thinking about that starts my tears flowing. A normal day, like every day. But not so normal. This has struck me so close to home that I am upset just thinking about what that mother has gone through.

The two incidents have underlined my pastor's series for Lent, ironically -"What if you had 30 days to live?" The idea, of course, is that Jesus knew he had less than 30 days to live, and what examples did he live in those last days? All of this put together has really shaken Doug's and my complacence (sp?), which is good. Just so sad that it takes tragedy to make us wake up and look around.

Hopefully we can start restructuring our life so we live this oh-so-true statement in the sermon today, but one that I couldn't fully grasp until this week: "The only day you are guaranteed by God is today. Today is the day the Lord has made. Rejoice & be glad in it." Pastor Steve preached to stop waiting "until..." and to live passionately now. We will be better at it.

2 comments:

Sheryl said...

Oh my gosh! My heart and prayers goes out to those families.
I agree- isn't it awful what it takes sometimes to make us really 'carpe diem'?

Cat Hoemke said...

I am so sorry to hear about these tragedies. I think your pastor is a very smart man.