Thursday, February 26, 2009

Look on the bright side.

Momentous things that occurred this week: Roman can whistle, and Charlie can say "hi." Now, neither are that great at it - Roman can only make one sound, and Charlie is kind of random at it (but did say hi to almost every person at Jo-Ann's). Either way, small things to celebrate.

Especially since we got our property tax info in the mail today. It's good news, I guess - it went down. Way down. Again. So we're saving money for the second year in a row. But wow, does that make our house really not worth much. Throwing around numbers, assuming things bounce back even this year, it'll be another 5-7 years before we can consider making a profit on this baby. So. Since Roman may go to high school here after all, I've been trying to think of all the reasons I like being in this city. To be honest, it's been kind of hard. But here are my top 10:

10. Our house is close to the elementary school.
9. We have a walkable/bikable neighborhood.
8. I am within 5 miles of some of my favorite stores: Costco, Target, CVS, Kohl's, Meijer, Toys R Us, Michael's...
7. There are kids Roman's age on our street that aren't going anywhere, either.
6. We have a great church and great church family.
5. There is a library within walking distance.
4. The layout of our main living area is nice.
3. Easy access via freeways to get to a major mall (and work, Doug points out).
2. My choice of hospital emergency rooms, depending on the reason for going.
1. Detroit Zoo & Henry Ford Museum.

Honestly, that took me about 15 minutes to come up with. I'll have to keep working on it.

No comments: