Sunday, June 22, 2008

A busy, crazy, fun few days

I spent the last 4 days at my parents' house, some R&R (yes, I'm on maternity leave, but that doesn't mean it's a vacation!) & some history stuff thrown in as well. Lots of funny and cool things happened on the trip. Charlie became an official thumb-sucker.



Roman watched a snake eat not one, but two dead mice. Close up. I mean, really close up. That's him in the fluorescent green.

We met some "Germans" settling in to their foxholes near the airport (where we also toured a B-17 bomber! Cool!). I guess the car does take away from the authenticity, however.

And Ro, my dad, & I got to see a reenactment of the invasion of Peleliu, an island in the Pacific. In front of my eyes. Like, just a few feet away. It was awesome, amazing, incredible, & a lot more for which words do not do justice.

Spent some quality time with grandparents, got to sleep in a little, & had a dinner out (Mexican!). All in all, a good trip - but missed Doug terribly. Doug got lots done here, which will be in another post.

The funniest story of the week, however, is courtesy of Roman. At the Mexican restaurant our waitress Christina really took a shine to him. Teased him, talked to him, really made him feel special. When we got ready to leave she hugged him & kissed him on the forehead. As she walked away, Roman leaned toward me and whispered real loud with a big grin, "She didn't even know that Charlie was here!" What a telling quote. You can see how much he's been overshadowed by the little brother lately. In the car he was still enamored with her, because he shrieked out of the blue, "Another girl kissed me!" but he smiled, too.

1 comment:

wmw said...

Super cool stuff!