Thursday, March 06, 2008

Making a mess to get things clean

Staying at home for ?? long is nice because I can tackle tasks around the house that have been driving us crazy for months but we didn't have time to attend to. This came to a head last weekend, when I had to finally clean out the closet in the spare room to move Roman in. This caused a giant pile in the 3rd bedroom. To find places for that pile, I had to clean out the closets in that room. And that led to the hall linen closet needing to be cleaned out. So essentially, in 5 days I cleaned out 4 closets. The 3rd bedroom was trashed for a few days, what with donate/trash/keep piles all over, but it's done now.

And just like on those tv shows, there is room to add things in 3 of the 4 closets. Amazing. Out on the front deck currently is/are 3 bags of donation items, and on the curb is/are 2 bags of trash from these 4 closets. These are no ordinary bags, either - they are Doug's industrial-grade, 4-foot-high trash bags. I'm very pleased with myself. Lastly, a plug for the Vietnam Vets of America - in my area they collect donations and then sell them to retailers, and that's how they raise money for their organization. Very cool. Plus, they are in my neighborhood every day, and I can schedule a pickup the night before, even.

Roman and I had a teachable moment last night which was nice. As I was tucking him in bed he said, "I know how to spell cat - c-a-t." We then thought of rhyming words. Then I had a stroke of brilliance. "You know how to spell all those words," I said. He didn't believe me. I started with hat. I told him to just change the first letter, and he spelled h-a-t. Got a little grin. Then I said, "how about pat?" He thought for a minute, and then spelled it. We covered rat, sat, bat, & mat as well before he started getting silly. But he had a smile of accomplishment the whole time, and I hope perhaps we made a brain connection there.

Charlie is becoming an actual human as he gets closer to his due date. By this I mean, he doesn't sleep 20 hours anymore per day. He is consistently waking about an hour before his next bottle; a little bit hungry but easy to distract, alert & in a good mood. That's very nice. I know I need to take more pictures... perhaps today or tomorrow.

Lastly, a little about myself - I'm going to meet with my boss today to talk a little about the dilemma of next Fall; specifically, kids vs. work vs. part-time schedule. I just feel I need to clue him in as to the issues and maybe he can assist. Working part-time I know I am last on the priority list when it comes to schedules, but I also know I'm a good teacher & hopefully he'll want to keep me around if possible. Cross fingers. My former boss always had our schedules done by this point, but who knows where C. is currently.

No comments: