Saturday, March 22, 2008

How are Mom and Dad?

When we go to the pediatrician, I am always asked "and how are Mom and Dad doing?" I thought it was time to talk about us in this blog for a change! (the kids, by the way, are fine.)

Doug is surviving on the lack of sleep, although he is notably more grumpy than in the past. I don't think this is just lack of sleep, however; for some time he has been struggling with what he wants to be when he grows up. Now that he's the proud father of two, I think the matter has begun to niggle at him again. That's about all I'll say about that right now, though. He is very excited to start a golf league that meets one evening a week at a local course he used to play with his brother. Since Roman joined our family Doug's golf has been limited to the range & maybe once or twice on the links. I'm happy for him too - my one night out with the ladies lifted my spirits so much, I think golfing once a week will give Doug some happy time away from home.

Together we are doing better than during the pregnancy, which is interesting. I think I feel much more like myself now, which obviously would change how we interact. Plus since I'm home all day, I'm not nearly as stressed as I am when I work. That changes our dynamic considerably as well. We are planning camping trips for the summer, mostly to Frankenmuth I think. They have nice facilities, especially with having a little one.

This coming week, for me, is the last of my sort-of freedom. Roman will go every day to preschool, but then the week after he will start staying home with me. At first, just 2 days; then in May, he'll be home 3 days a week. We're hoping we can keep it that way through the summer, so he can still get together with friends and play his little heart out; but we'll have to keep a close watch on financials. My school paid me a lump sum of the remaining amount they owed; we now have to budget it out for the next 5 months. Next year I only get a half-step raise as well, and since I didn't finish my Masters... well.

Speaking of my Masters, an agreement has been reached. All praise Madonna University, and specifically my advisor, who has pulled strings yet again. I have received another extension through next year; on top of that, one of my favorite professors has agreed to let me independent-study one of the classes I need so I can take it in the Fall. Then only one in the Winter, and still my project; then I'll be done. Still a lot of work, but at least I won't have to do 2 classes at the same time. There was no way I could do that, teach, coach swim, and have a family life.

On a physically personal note, I have lost the final 6 pounds to put me exactly at the weight I was when I found out I was pregnant. Now comes the hard part; losing the same amount again (or a little more) to get down to a better weight. My hormonal acne, which was so horrible to the point that it hurt to even wear a bra, is finally clearing up. It's bad, don't get me wrong, and I still awake with new ones daily. But the major painful ones are finally going away.

Lastly, we're both happy this weekend - it's the first time we've been at home for Easter. Most years we're with family, or last year we were lucky enough to be on vacation. But we've never been in our church for a major holiday, so we're pretty excited. Dinner afterward will be shared with Doug's parents and brother's family from South Dakota. It will just be SO nice to be in our little house with our little family.

1 comment:

Sheryl said...

Yay for a happy home!
Have a Happy ad blessed Easter at your house for a change. :)