Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Unpredictable infants!

It's been a long time since I've seen 12am turn into 1am, turn into 2am... and I'm sure Doug doesn't want to remember the last time he saw 4am slide into 6am (but wait - that was with Roman!)... but that was our night last night. Little ol' blue eyes apparently doesn't like his every-three-hour feeding schedule anymore, and thinks every 2 hours... or maybe 4 hours... it depends on how sleepy he is.... maybe he's just pooping... you get the idea.

With a preemie it's a fine line between newborn advice and your own/his own needs. There's a debate in new-parent circles between demand-feeding a baby and putting one on a schedule, and child-led schedules vs. parent-led schedules... but with a preemie it's hard to judge those arguments. He's on a mandatory 35cc per feeding; sometimes he takes 60cc. Should we increase amount of feedings or keep him at a high level of liquids? He may sleep for 4 hours, but he is starving and then spits up. Or he's waking up every 2 hours anyway just to need soothing & say hello to us, so should we just go ahead and feed him anyway? I certainly don't want to be trapped in an every-two-hour feeding schedule when every-three was demanding enough, but do-able. So I guess the next couple days we're just going to play around with amounts & times and see what happens.


The concern underlying this, of course, is he has a desperate need to continue gaining weight and make sure all systems are operating. And his systems are much smaller than that of a newborn, so a lot of suggestions (how many ounces he "should" be drinking) just cannot apply right now. And that even goes for sleeping - because he's at adjusted age, does that mean he won't start sleeping longer until 4 or 5 months from now, rather than 3? With the little bits of time I can snatch, I'm needing to do some more preemie research online.

It's funny, because I thought with Charlie on an every-3-hour schedule I could certainly at least sneak in a shower. I don't have high hopes for my days anymore after having both kids home the past couple days. But here it is, 11:30, and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to shower AND empty the dishwasher before I go pick Roman up (hope to leave at 2:30, because assuming normal feeding schedule, I have to be home around 4pm to feed Charlie again). Of course, maybe less time blogging.... nah!

No comments: