Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The household is feeling a bit better.


Funny, when preemie & Dad are the healthiest people in the house. We'll talk about my aches in a minute, but poor Roman has strep throat. I just wasn't asking the right question. "Does your throat hurt?" Got a "no" response. When Daddy asked "Does your throat hurt when you swallow?" we got an emphatic "yes." Nice. We looked in the throat, saw the white bumps, and there you have it. Because we wanted him to get on antibiotics right away, I took him to the walk-in clinic last night. Turns out Charlie can't get strep at his age - no tonsillar pillars - but he can, of course, get congestion & cough which Roman also has. Roman is obviously much better today, his fever broke; I think he actually has a cold underneath the strep. So here's crossing fingers that Doug or I don't get it. Any of it.
Roman picked out his own clothes on a healthier day.

For me, it's been a matter of retraining my body for an infant. At least this go-round the baby is only 4 pounds (4 pounds, 11 ounces, according to dr. yesterday) while Roman was already 19 pounds when we brought him home. But my arms, shoulders, and neck ache in strange places - cramped from holding Charlie for feedings & the like. My mid & low back hurt when we change him (not using a changing table, but a desk - we're cheap). And the biggest deal of all (one covered all over with guilt) is the fact that I decided to stop pumping as well, and so have to let things "dry up."

Caution: intimate details ahead! There is no magic pill for drying up the girls - the one that was used back in the day apparently also carries with it a high risk of stroke. And leave it up to a field dominated by men to not come up with another solution. So my OB gave me advice that I had also found on the Internet: cabbage leaves. Strange sounding, you think? They are a miracle cure. I quit pumping Friday afternoon and had a very, very sore Saturday. Doug got me a head of cabbage & combined with Tylenol, I get 2-3 hours of pain-free boobs. I fold/crush the leaves to break the veins, layer them around the girls inside my bra, and wah-lah! I also have to use pads too. This is really not fun. And this morning Tuesday, there's still some pain. And the irritation of having to wear a bra 24/7. And what I also think is interesting is that nowhere, except the Internet, could I find advice on stopping pumping/breastfeeding. Most books recommend you feed for 6-10 months. But then the advice stops. Not very helpful. I think if I could come up with a solution to this issue, I could be a millionaire.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.lilypadz.com/index1.html These are a life saver. No pads, no bras. They don't help with the pain, but that only lasts a day or two while the milk still comes for about 3 weeks. Sorry I didn't tell you about them before! - Katie

Amy said...

Oh, thank goodness. I'm going to Northville tomorrow to get me some! Katie (and Michelle), you've been a lifesaver!