Wednesday, January 16, 2008

New doctors, new meds

My regular OB came around this afternoon to tell me that my urine protein continues to go up; I'm now at 2500+, and in his words the "go to" number (when they'd take the baby no matter what) is 5000+. Doug, upon hearing this information, immediately began to plot my numbers in a graph to see when I'll give birth, assuming my body functions like a linear equation. What a guy, my favorite engineer! Based on numbers and what the OB said in code, it's looking like our best bet is to hold out another couple weeks. So it may be a January birthday after all.

My OB then explained their desire to transfer me to the OB docs here, and also refer me to a high-risk "maternal fetal medicine" doctor. The new OB came to see me this evening around 6:15 and after a conference with me, and then a call to the high risk dr., decided to put me on Procardia for my bp. This was expected, but she tells me that 80% of patients on Procardia experience headaches. Great. Like a bed-headache isn't bad enough. Of course, I suppose a 10-week-early preemie is bad, too.

OB did reassure me that I'm still considered a "mild" case of preeclampsia. She also asked what my home situation is, in case they thought they could transfer me to bedrest at home. I told her it wasn't a good idea; I wouldn't sit still, and I have a 4-year-old. She agreed with me.

In good news for today, I did get a heat pack for my aching neck muscles and it was AWESOME. I really underestimated heat packs, but no more. And my pizza for dinner was a "personal pan" size so I'm not hungry, which is good too. So I'm going to cruise some online scrapbooking sites and attempt to get to sleep before 10pm tonight.

No comments: