Thursday, September 06, 2007

A whirlwind

Yesterday was something else. I had Open House in the evening, so just stayed here at school to prep, have dinner with a couple coworkers, and do an errand. When I got home after a very long day on my feet, Rebekka was waiting to tell me all about her first day. She sounded like she enjoyed it, as much as a 16-year-old can. She finally got her schedule (on the first day, that morning) and she is a sophomore, credit-wise, which we were beginning to suspect would happen. She is determined to take summer school and possibly night classes if she can swing it next semester. We told her to just pass this semester, first.

I'm having fun being on the "other side" of teachers for once. For instance, I didn't realize how much you could tell about a teacher from their parent letter. I predicted accurately what a couple of her teachers were like, down to age & craziness-level. I will have to go back and review my own letter!

I also had yet another "first" at my own Open House. Parents will shock me and say the strangest, funniest, or weirdest things sometimes. But this one tops all. A mother wanted me to be aware that her husband was being released from prison next month, where he's been since 1998, and for me to be aware in case there are behavior changes in her daughter. Um, okay... mark another one down that I've not heard yet! Wow.

No comments: