Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Another trip to the ER

I didn't mention in the last post that while the adults were relaxing, Roman had thrown up twice at my in-laws'. He wasn't real hungry on Sunday but by Monday was fully recovered. Well... we thought it was maybe heat exhaustion, or not enough liquids, but it was something worse!

We got it Monday night. Both Doug and I, taking turns in the bathroom while Roman slept soundly. Turns out my MIL was sick that night too. Roman apparently got a NOROVirus, aka "the cruise ship disease." Vomiting and often diarrhea, comes and goes quickly. Well, in everyone's case but mine.

Here's the "too much information" details: by 12:30am I couldn't get off the toilet, and had to use a wastebasket for the upper end. It wouldn't stop. I couldn't control either end. Anything that went into my stomach (including PeptoBismol, water, anything) came right back up. By about 1:15am I told Doug to call an ambulance. That was about my last coherent thought. I didn't want Roman to have to get up and go to the hospital and sit around while I got fluids, but I knew I was in a bad way. I got real hot & sweaty, would vomit, and then get chills. Then do the whole thing over again every 15 minutes or so. When the ambulance arrived around 2am they took my BP and it was 100/50 and she couldn't find my pulse, it was so weak. So off I went to the hospital in my first, and hopefully only, ambulance ride. Just the movement from the toilet to the gurney made me vomit. Again when I had to get off and get on the new bed at the hospital. And then again, just for fun. I got 1-1/2 bags of saline and only felt marginally better, but they sent me home.

Home at 6am. I called my parents and asked for help with Roman - the boy was feeling great, but Doug and I were dead tired. My Dad came by noon. I slept a good part of the day Tuesday and Wednesday and almost everything is better - Dad went home this afternoon. I'm eating (chicken, applesauce, oatmeal, and mashed potatoes) and feel pretty rested. Still wrestling with diarrhea, but one dose of Pepto tonight seems to have calmed my tummy down. Bless the man who came up with wet-wipes for kids in place of toilet paper, it has been a luxury having those!

We thought at first we had food poisoning, but a call to the Dept of Health told us they've been tracking an outbreak of this virus the last couple weeks, and sent over detailed instructions on how to cleanse our house. So another early night for me, and hopefully I can make it through work tomorrow!


Sheryl said...

Oooo- both ends are the worst! Thank goodness all are feeling better. Smart thinking about the Health Dept!
And thank goodness for loving grandparents and parents! Papas are the best!

piscis said...

I'm glad you are all feeling better. What an awful way to cap a vacation!